100% Agave Tequila Cocktail
I suffer with genetic rosacea and so need to be careful with the alcoholic drinks I choose to drink. Due to its simple sugars and the fact that its sugars don't enter the bloodstream, good 100% agave tequila doesn't cause my rosacea to flare up. A study from the American Chemical Society says that this spirit has the power to lower bad cholesterol (LDL) levels and increase the good (HDL).
The same study found that sugars called agavins, which are found in tequila, might lower blood glucose levels for people who deal with diatbetes type 2. These agavins, unlike other sugars, have effects similar to dietary fibre which means that they don't enter the bloodstream. Agavins trigger blood sugar control and help people feel full.
I really enjoy mixing a few dashes of bitters with my tequila. I also like using kombucha as a healthy mixer or a shrub.
Here's the recipe for my Tequila x Kombucha Cocktail-
- A double shot of Tequila Añejo or Tequila Reposado (make sure it says 100% Agave on the label)
- 1-2 shots kombucha
- Half a red chilli
- Orange or grapefruit peel
- 3-4 dashes Chocolate Chili Bitters
- Squeeze of lime (optional)
- Tonic water to finish (optional)
- Large cube of ice
- Frozen glass (put your glass into the freezer a few minutes before mixing this up!)
- Place your large cube of ice into the freezing glass followed by the orange peel and chilli. Squeeze some lime juice in now if using.
- Pour in your tequila and kombucha followed by a few dashes of bitters.
- Top with a little tonic water if the taste is too strong for you.
- Stir slowly and enjoy!
This cocktail is a great aperitif or can be drunk with Mexican flavoured dishes.